Every great trip starts with a map. Now, you can create custom printed maps at trimbleoutdoors.com via our sister company MyTopo. These high-quality printed maps match the topographical maps you see in our mobile apps. So now there's a map to go with your mobile app. Here's how to create a custom map for your next outdoor outing. Learn how to save 20% on your next printed map purchase as well.
1. Open an account at trimbleoutdoors.com.
2. Go to trimbleoutdoors.com/PostATrip. Start a new trip or import a gpx file (gpx is a generic and standardized format to share GPS data).
3. Name your trip. Add description. Hit save and go to Map Editor.
4. Zoom in on your trip location, then plot waypoints and draw tracks.
5. When your personal overlays are done, save trip. On the view trip page, click "Print MyTopo" under Map Tools, which leads you to MyTopo.com (our sister site).
6. Pick your waypoint style and track color (we prefer red since it pops most maps).
7. Choose the map type (topo, color aerial, hybrid topo-photo, b&w aerial photo)
8. Select your map size (up to 5' x 8') and scale (down to 1:10K). The red box shows the printed map's edges. Move the box to your desired location.
9. Choose what type of paper you want (waterproof, glossy, laminated).
10. Name your map, pick a grid overlay, and decide if you want hill-shading.
11. Preview the map. Then add to cart.
12. If your route requires more than one topo, repeat steps 5-11 to build other maps.
13. Follow the checkout process. Allow a few days for delivery.
As example, here's a screenshot of a map we created for one of our favorite backpacking loops in Grand Canyon National Park.